If Marangu is the "Coca Cola" route, then the Machame Route is the "Whiskey" route. It is the second most popular and one of the most scenic routes on the mountain. All climbers sleep in tents (tents are included) and meals are served in a dinner tent or on a blanket outside.
It is done over 7 days, so acclimatization is easier, and the success rate is fairly high. It is for physically fit people with some hiking experience. Descent is down the Mweka trail staying at the Mweka or Millenium camp the final night on the mountain.
*** KILIMANJARO + SAFARI DISCOUNT ***
Save $50/person when you book a Kilimanjaro Trek and Safari!
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Drive to Kilimanjaro National Park Machame Gate, Hike to Machame Camp
- DAY 2: Hike Machame Camp to Shira Camp
- DAY 3: Hike Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
- DAY 4: Hike Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
- DAY 5: Hike Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
- DAY 6: Hike Barafu Camp to Summit, down to Mweka Camp
- DAY 7: Hike Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate, drive to Moshi
- Trekking to the highest mountain in Africa
LOCATIONS: Moshi, Tanzania
ACTIVITIES: Mountain Trekking