The Marangu Route is also known as the "Coca Cola" or "tourist" route. It is the easiest and shortest route to the summit. This is also the only route with the comforts of sleeping huts at every camp site with solar lights and comfortable beds. The huts are communal, and the bunks have a sponge mattress and pillow.
There are 60 beds at both Mandara and Kibo Huts and 120 beds at Horombo Hut. Bathrooms and running water are available at the two lower huts. Mens' and ladies' latrines are available at the last camp but are very basic.
All climbing groups, often from several countries around the world, share meals in dining huts providing a jovial and energetic atmosphere. Soft drinks, bottled water, and beer may be for sale at the huts. Bring small Tanzanian bills to purchase these items (prices increase with elevation).
This route is usually done in 5 days but can be done in 6 days for better acclimatization. The extra day can be spent resting at Horombo or climbing the small peak of Mawenzi.
*** KILIMANJARO + SAFARI DISCOUNT ***
Save $50/person when you book a Kilimanjaro Trek and Safari!
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Drive to Kilimanjaro National Park Marangu Gate, Hike to Mandara Hut
- DAY 2: Hike Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut
- DAY 3: Hike Horombo Hut to Kibo Hut
- DAY 4: Hike Kibo Hut to Summit, and down to Horombo Hut
- DAY 5: Hike Horombo Hut to trail head, drive to Moshi
- Trekking to the top of the highest mountain in Africa
- Climb Kili in 5 days
LOCATIONS: Moshi, Tanzania
ACTIVITIES: Mountain Trekking